There’s no need to spread this out further than necessary. You want to know how to delete a WordPress theme double-quick time so you can get on with something else. So, let’s get down to it.
How to delete a WordPress theme from the admin area
Bear in mind – you can’t delete an active theme so if that’s the one you want to remove, you’ll first need to deactivate it.
- Log into your WordPress Dashboard and click on Appearance. This will take you to the theme management area.
- Hover your mouse over the screenshot of the theme you want to delete. An overlay saying Theme Details will appear. Click it.
- Next, click on the Delete link, which is located in the bottom right-hand corner. The screenshot below shows you where to look.
- When you click on Delete, a dialogue box appears asking you to confirm your request. If you want to go ahead, click on OK.
- That’s it. The theme is deleted.
How to delete a WordPress theme using an FTP program
- Log into your website’s server using your favourite FTP program. Depending upon the configuration of the server, you might have to log into a folder called public_html to access your site’s files.
- Navigate to the themes folder, which you’ll find inside a folder called wp-content.
- Find the folder holding the theme’s files. It will have the same name as the theme. Right click on the folder icon and choose Delete.
- That’s it.
The unwanted themes are now deleted.