Podcasts are an excellent form of content marketing. A lot of the time people consume them away from the computer screen so typically they pay attention to whatever the host and guest(s) are banging on about.
It hasn’t always been like this. The appreciation of podcasting got off to a slow start.
We didn’t much like them when players ran on laptops and PCs, but now that we’re mobile and in love with our smartphones, we can take podcasts wherever we go and can’t get enough of them.
Take a look at this infographic by Music Oomph to see how we’re getting along with podcasts in 2018.
Podcast statistics 2018
Apple Podcasts now features:
- 555,000 active podcasts
- 18.5 million episodes
- Content in 100 languages
Top 5 popular podcast genres
- Society and culture
- News and politics
- 64% of the US population is familiar with the term ‘podcasting’
- 44% of the US population have listened to a podcast
- 26% of the US population listen to podcasts at least every month
- 17% of the US population listens to podcasts weekly
- 6$ of the US population are ‘avid podcast fans’
- 18-24 years – 18%
- 25-34 years – 28%
- 35-44 years – 21%
- 45-54 years – 16%
- 55-64 years – 11%
- 65+ years – 6%
- Podcast listeners are 45% more likely to have a college degree
- Podcast listeners are 56% more likely to be undergraduates
- Podcast listeners are 68% more likely to be postgraduates
- Podcast listeners are 32% more likely to have $75,000+ annual income
- Podcast listeners are 37% more likely to have $100,000+ annual income
- Podcast listeners are 45% more likely to have $250,000+ annual income
- 52% of US podcast listeners are male, 48% are female
- Smartphones are the number one medium for podcast consumption
- 54% of the US smartphone podcast audience is on the Apple iOS ecosystem, 43% on Android and 3% on others.
- 49% listen at home
- 22% listen while driving
- 11% listen at work
- 4% listen while riding public transport
- 4% listen while working out
- 3% listen while walking around
- 7% listen in other situations
- 80% of the listeners listen to an entire episode or most of the episode
- Podcast listeners subscribe to an average of six shows
- Podcast listeners listen to an average of seven different shows per week
- 19% of listeners increase the speed
- Weekly podcast listeners spend an average of 6 hrs and 37 mins per week listening to podcasts
Social media behaviour
- Podcast listeners are much more active on every social media channel (94% are active on at least one vs 81% for the entire nation)
- Podcast listeners are more likely to follow companies and brands on social media
- Podcast listeners are more likely to subscribe to Netflix or Amazon Prime (meaning they are less likely to be exposed to TV advertising)
- Podcast listeners are more likely to own a smart speaker like Amazon Alexa or Google Home
- 6% agreed that podcast ads made them aware of new products or services
The growth of podcast ad revenue
Podcast ads lift purchase intent for a variety of advertisers – percentages increase in people who are very or somewhat likely to purchase the product or service after hearing the ad in a podcast:
Society and Culture
9.2% lift in purchase intent for brands who advertise in the Society & Culture podcasts.
News & Politics
12.8% lift in purchase intent for brands who advertise in the News & Politics podcasts.
7.3% lift in purchase intent for brands who advertise in the Comedy podcasts.
9.3% lift in purchase intent for brands who advertise in the Sports podcasts.
14% lift in purchase intent for brands who advertise in the Business podcasts.
Ads integrated or edited into a programming accounted for 58% of the podcast ad inventory.