If you follow hundreds or thousands of people on Twitter and struggle to keep track of what’s going on, you might want to start using a feature called Lists.
What is a Twitter List?
A Twitter List is essentially a separate feed to which you assign Twitter accounts.
If you’re following thousands of people your main Twitter feed moves at a fast pace and you can easily miss tweets from people you’d like to interact with.
Having the ability to filter those Twitter accounts into separate lists means you can view them any time you like. At your own pace.
Using Twitter Lists to create a better user experience
You create a list based on whatever criteria you choose. Typically it’s the person’s field of expertise or your relationship with them, then, when you log into Twitter, you can check the list to see what the people in it are tweeting about.
A few examples:
- Blogs and news sites about topics you’re interested in
- Clients you’d like to pitch
- Agencies you’d like to work with
- Influencers who have no clue who you are, yet!
- Real-life friends
- People you’ve met at conferences
- Local businesses
- People who regularly share your content or retweet your tweets
You don’t have to follow somebody to add them a list. I’ve ‘listed’ many people who I know would never follow me back.
A few more things worth mentioning about lists:
- You can set them to private or public.
- You can subscribe to somebody else’s list, as long as the list is public.
- You can add the same account to multiple lists.
- When you add somebody to a public list, they get a notification.
- You must be logged in to see somebody else’s list.
What do you think? Would creating and using lists make Twitter more enjoyable for you? If so, read on to find out how to create, manage and view Twitter Lists.
How to create a Twitter list
(The following instructions are for desktop only. If you’re using a smartphone, you should be able to figure it out. If not, check out the instructions on the Twitter.)
1. Click on Lists in the vertical navigation menu on the left
If you’re browser is narrowed for whatever reason, the word Lists is removed so you only see the icon.
2. Click on the blue note icon above the word Member
3. Name your list and write a short description
By default, all lists are public. If you want to keep your list private, check the ‘Make private‘ box.
4. Click on the blue Next button when you’re done.
5. Start adding personal and brand accounts to your list
Start adding people to your list by typing any letter or word into the ‘Search people’ section at the top. As soon as you start typing, Twitter populates the section below with accounts it thinks are a good match.
To add an account to your list, click on it. You’ll see the the accounts you’ve added above the search box (see image below).
If you change your mind and want to remove an account from the list, click on the blue X next to the account name.
When you’ve finished adding accounts, click Done.
How to view tweets from a Twitter list
- Click on the Lists link in the main menu.
- Click on the list you’d like to view.
As I hope you can see, if you’re finding Twitter more than a little overwhelming, creating and using Twitter Lists could help you get more out of the platform. The lists help you bypass the constant barrage of promotional tweets you’re probably seeing every time you log in. Filtering the people you want to hear from into separate feeds helps you take more control of your account.
If you’d like to check out our public lists, you can do so here. We also run a few private ones too.